TAC's Yawn Challenge
Take a photo of yourself or a mate yawning and upload to social media - it is as simply as that to be a part of the TAC Yawn Challenge.
As part of TAC's new drowsy Driving campaign, the Yawn Challenge aims to raise awareness of the importance of being alert while driving, getting a good night’s sleep before hitting the road and the key message that whatever you do, you can't fight sleep.
Drowsy driving is a major contributor to road trauma in Victoria, and is estimated to be a contributing factor between 16 – 20% of all road crashes. Despite the widely known risk of drowsy driving, people still drive when in this condition because they believe they’re able to consciously control and ‘push through’ (particularly across short, everyday drives).
Being part of the Yawn Challenge is simple:
Take a photo or short video of yourself or a mate yawning.
Upload that pic or short video to Instagram, Facebook, Twitter or Vine
Make sure you caption your yawn with:
Like if this pic/clip made you yawn. I bet it did because you can’t fight sleep #yawnchallenge
By getting involved in the Yawn Challenge you could win a $500 sleep pack to help you get the rest you need before you hit the road. #yawnchallenge #drowsydriving @TACVictoria
- All day sleep inducing chemicals build up in your brain.
- They eventually reach a tipping point and you fall asleep.
- You can’t control when or where this happens, which is why it’s important to get a good night’s sleep before getting behind the wheel, and never drive while drowsy.
- Drowsiness is the first sign of sleep, and while you may think you can push through, and you may have been lucky to get away with it before, you actually can’t.
- Winding down the window, turning the radio up or having a coffee won’t help – the only way to fight drowsiness is with sleep.
- So if you’re already in the car when you feel drowsy, pull over and have a 15 minute powernap
CLICK HERE to view the new campaign ad.