TAC Cup draftees in JLT Series week 3
Former GWV Rebels midfielder and 2016 Morrish Medallist Hugh McCluggage was one of 15 of last year’s TAC Cup AFL draftees to appear for their new clubs in week 3 of the JLT Community Series.
McCluggage (pictured - pick no.3 in the 2016 NAB AFL Draft) again impressed in his second pre-season appearance for Brisbane, picking up 12 disposals and four clearances in 74 per cent game time during the Lions’ eight-point victory over the Western Bulldogs at Etihad Stadium on Friday night.
Meanwhile, ex-Calder Cannons defender Zach Guthrie (pick no.33 in the 2016 Rookie Draft) was another to announce himself as a contender for a Round 1 AFL debut. Guthrie backed up a 24-disposal performance in Geelong’s opening pre-season match with 18 disposals, seven marks and three tackles in 67 per cent game time during the Cats’ six-point loss to Adelaide at Richmond Oval in South Australia on Sunday.
2016 Bendigo Pioneers captain Joe Atley (pick no.32, AFL Draft) relished seeing some extra game time in Port Adelaide’s second pre-season appearance, a 28-point loss to Richmond in Mount Gambier. After playing just 31 per cent game time last week, the tough midfielder managed 14 disposals, seven contested possessions, four clearances and a goal in 60 per cent game time on Sunday.
Former Sandringham Dragons premiership teammates Tim Taranto (no.2) and Will Setterfield (no.5) stepped out for GWS for a second time in the Giants’ 12-point loss to Sydney in Blacktown on Friday night. Taranto recovered from being on the receiving end of a huge bump from Swans superstar Lance Franklin to record 14 disposals, eight contested possessions, six tackles and a goal in 76 per cent game time, while Setterfield had seven disposals, five contested possessions and four tackles in 52 per cent game time.
Other TAC Cup AFL draftees to appear in week 3 of the JLT Community Series were:
- Nathan Mullenger McHugh (rookie pick no.18 from the Eastern Ranges): two disposals and three tackles in 44 per cent game time for the Western Bulldogs;
- Patrick Lipinski (pick no.28 from the Northern Knights): five disposals in 45 per cent game time for the Western Bulldogs;
- Jordan Gallucci (no.15 from Eastern): nine disposals in 59 per cent game time for Adelaide;
- Myles Poholke (no.44 from the Dandenong Stingrays): five disposals in 54 per cent game time for Adelaide;
- Willem Drew (no.33 from GWV): three disposals and three tackles in 30 per cent game time for Port Adelaide;
- Oliver Florent (no.11 from Sandringham): 11 disposals in 62 per cent game time for Sydney;
- Cameron Polson (no.59 from Sandringham): seven disposals and three tackles in 61 per cent game time during Carlton’s 92-point loss to St Kilda on Saturday;
- Tom Williamson (no.61 from GWV): 10 disposals and four rebound-50s in 74 per cent game time for Carlton;
- Sean Darcy (no.38 from the Geelong Falcons): no disposals from seven per cent game time during Fremantle’s two-point defeat of Collingwood on Saturday; and
- Josh Daicos (no.57 from the Oakleigh Chargers): five disposals in 44 per cent game time for Collingwood.